Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dinner Roll over

Rachel Ray always talks about “Rolling over” recipes.  This is when you take an item from dinner and then rolling it over to a new recipe the next night.  My sweetie is not keen to leftovers and rolling over is a genius way to trick all the boys that dinner is an entirely new recipe rather than leftovers. 

Last week, I made Easy Ground Beef Tacos and had over a pound of cooked taco meat leftover. I couldn’t just throw it away so when I went to the pantry and saw a recipe on the back of the Libby’s corn can. I got so excited!  It is a one-pan recipe (I love those due to minimal dishwashing) and had all the ingredients it needed.  Here is my version of the recipe.

  • Leftovers you’ll need from the night before:
    • ground taco meat
    • leftover chopped onion
    • leftover chopped tomatoes
  • 1 can of corn, drained
  • handful frozen green pepper (I keep this in the freezer at all times)
  • 1 small can of tomato sauce (a pantry must-have)
  • 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice
  • 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock (I always buy the boxed kind and keep it in the fridge. If you don’t have chicken stock use water)
  • garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste.

Warm the leftover beef, onion, tomatoes, and green pepper in a large pan. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until rice is tender.

I served this with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled some of the cheddar cheese leftover from the night before.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment