Monday, September 26, 2011

Women of Faith

This weekend I got to attend the Women of Faith conference in Phx with my awesome sister. It was such a great experience! Not only have I been applying many of the principles I've learned at the conference, I feel refreshed with a new perspective in life.

On Friday morning, we began with wonderful music by the WOF worship team. Then, Andy Andrews and Patsy Clairmont took the stage with great principles to live by.  Patsy gave us homework and that is to wake up each morning and say "yes" to Jesus and "thank you." Most importantly, it is to say "no" to the people and things that would take away from our important priorities.  To help gauge whether it is ok to say no, the litmus test is, "if it divides your heart and use up your energy (not enough for your family), it is a good indication that you need to say no." I must admit that was the hardest lesson for me.  But I really like her next advice, "no, is a COMPLETE sentence!" I love that. As many women probably can relate, I feel that I would need to justify my "no" and feel terribly guilty about it. Her last piece of wisdom that will be my new mantra, is that "your will is stronger than your emotion."

Andy Andrews was equally enlightening! I have been more aware of what I am exposing myself to as a result of his message. It is so true about how whatever you take in is what comes out. I think of all the television shows out there. I would much rather read a great book than mindlessly watch t.v. knowing full well it is not helping me. On a side note, (I easily get distracted lol) have you seen Lowes' new commercial? It is so cute that it always gets me all choked up. Well their new tagline is "never stop improving." Andy Andrews' session really makes me think that way. There is so much about myself I would like to improve. Thanks to his session, I am definitely going to start reading much more :-)

We had a break for lunch and continued for our sessions. Our lunch was so cute I had to snap a picture.

We returned that evening to more worship and what would be the higlight of the event for me. We got to hear Brenda Warner speak! Her whole family was in the audience supporting her. As I mentioned in my blog post here, I recently read her book. While much of what she spoke about was in the book, I felt we were sitting around the table sipping coffee as she told her story. I love her transparency and humilty! Nobody is perfect and she sure does not claim to be. Though, I wouldn't mind having her as a mommy mentor. I mean, did you know she has 7 kids?! I have 2 and most days I think I am going to be  insane. I would love to pick her brain! She mentioned a saying that she makes her kids repeat each morning. I know it comes from the scripture Deuteronomy 28 in reference to blessings. So cute! Now I have my boys recite their life verses each morning. I picked one for each one of our boys that relates to them. For our oldest, it is 2 Timothy 1:7 NLT "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."

For little dude, because he has a gift of speaking...(he talks a lot) :-) it is... Proverbs 31:8 NLT
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed."

Saturday at WOF was wonderful and inspiring as well. It was my shopping day too and I came home with goodies for all three of my favorite boys (my sweetie got a book too). I am grateful for my sweetie for taking the days off so that I can attend. Also, thanks to booksneeze for the free tickets!





No comments:

Post a Comment